Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Try something new...

Yesterday, I went to a boxing gym in Southie with my best friend.  I've boxed a little bit in the past, but, it's been a while.  I've been looking forward to checking out this gym for a while. Well, let me just tell you - it was awesome!  I've always enjoyed boxing workouts and  my favorite class to teach is cardio kickboxing.  I'm not sure why it took me so long to check this place out, but, I'm so glad I finally went.  We started out jump roping then moved on to boxing circuits with a heavy bag alternating shadow boxing and strength moves.  We then moved on to free weights (ah, at this point I had to grab lighter weights than I usually use).  Then, we finished with medicine ball partner work. Then, see ya later - go stretch when you get home. 60 minutes of intense cardio and strength work - I'm hooked.  

My friend and I are both pretty sore today... which is what leads me to my point with this post.  When is the last time you challenged yourself? Not only is it important to switch up your workouts on a regular basis, but, it's also important to really challenge yourself every once in a while... even once a week.  First, it's great for your body (obviously). I lift, run, plyo-jump on a regular basis, but the last time I hit a heavy bag? Ah, it's probably been a year... even my forearms hurt today! Next, it's good for your self esteem.  You'll be surprised at what you can do -  don't ever assume that you cannot do something... be confident and try it.  Third, it's also healthy for the brain. Yes, challenging your body also challenges your mind and keeps you sharp.

There are so many cost free ways to try a new, exciting powerful workout without spending extra cash.  Here are some ideas:
1) Check out a new gym class... most offer a free trial
2) Try a class at a local dance studio... again, most offer a free trial
3) Drive to the hilliest part of town and go for a run and hit every hill you can find.  Sprint up each hill.  Tell me you don't feel that the next day.
4) Go to a track and do sprints, run up and down the stadium. Do sprints on the field.
5) Try a crossfit workout
6) Ask for a trial with a personal trainer at a gym - most gyms will give you a free first trial (this will also give you ideas for workouts and help improve form)
7) Go to the beach and run on the sand
8) Try a boxing gym! ;)
9) Sign up for for a Heat Management race (spartan races, mud runs, etc)  They are so fun - I did one back in the fall with my best friend (Lucky me that I have a friend who's down for any challenge)
10) Pick up some new equipment at a store (even "5 Below" has kettle bells, medicine balls, etc) and create a circuit with a friend.

Obviously it will cost money if you sign up, but, won't it be worth it? I'm joining this gym in southie - it rocks.

Onto the recipe of the day...

This is super fast, healthy, and delicious!

Need:
- 1/3 Avocado
- 1 1/2 Tomatoes
- 1 Chicken breast (or two tenderloins)
- 3 mini mozzarella balls (ciligiene)
- Olive oil
- Juice from 1 half lemon (TIP: I always have a lemon cut into wedges and ready to go. I buy a bag a week and always have the slices ready for my water and for cooking)
- Garlic
- Salt, crushed red pepper, parsley flake, FRESH basil

First, pound the chicken thin in between two pieces of parchment paper or saran wrap.  Spray or drizzle with olive oil and coat with garlic, crushed red pepper, salt, and parsley.  

Throw it on a grill or saute pan (it will cook very fast because it is so thin). Then flip to cook the other side.

While this is happening... Chop tomatoes, avocado, mozzarella, and basil and put in a bowl.  Drizzle with olive oil, lemon juice, pinch of salt and crushed red pepper. Mix it up.

After that, put the chicken on a plate and in a small bowl put a squeeze of lemon, tsp of olive oil, tsp of parmesan, and minced basil... mix and spread on chicken (pesto flavor without busting out the cuisinart food processor.
Lastly, pour the mixture over the chicken, serve & eat!

Hope you all have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment